Battalion Battalion

There are a lot of cool riffs in here. In some parts there is a little too much crash cymbal though, you have to let it roll a little more. Sometimes what I do is use a lot of crashes the first time though the riff then I don't use any the second time though; I think it flows more nicely that way. Nonetheless, cool song. Aside from the crashes I think it is mixed and balanced really well.

TSRBand responds:

Thanks for the tip! Will definitely have to keep that in mind and try leaning on the hi-hats a bit more as you suggested. Glad you enjoyed it :)

Grandma's Secret Sauce Grandma's Secret Sauce

Hey HighBallers is still around! I haven't been on Newgrounds for almost 2 years, I come and check out the latest heavy metal songs and you've got a track up. Neat.

I like that opening riff in this song, it's awesome.

HighBallers responds:

Gravedigger! long time myfriend! yeh im still here.....lol still not famous yet. Good to see someone from the old metal community.

Nicodemus Nicodemus

That is one incredibly melodic song. I haven't listened to stuff like that in a long time. I am curious what type of voice were you wanting for this song? I thought your vocals suited it very well. Your voice is smooth and sort of peaceful, I think it sounds right for the way the instruments sound. But I kept thinking Timo Kotipelto from Stratovarius would maybe have the fit you were looking for. Is that what you wanted, something high, melodic, and powerful?

I am not offering vocals, by the way, I am just curious. I don't sing myself, I am mostly a guitar player.

FoxiFyer responds:

well, one thing about my voice I dont like is I can never get it to sound powerful or aggressive. I would compare my voice to steven wilson, but in baratone. plus I really had to force myself to hit alot of the notes, and to me hearing myself strain dosent sound good. yeah a voice similar to Timo's would be perfect, somthing powerful but not to high.
Thanks though :3

Inuinnaqtun Inuinnaqtun

Wow what a strange song, it is like nothing I've ever heard before. It has a black metal feel; but that hang drum is weird and the vocals are weird but somehow it all comes together.

etK responds:

:D Thank you !! That's what I wanted !! I'll keep experimenting in that direction, thanks again for the review

Your Passage - S6N9 Your Passage - S6N9

Beautiful melodies, and excellent feel. One of your best!

My Private War My Private War

Great feel and pace going on in this song. My only criticism would be the crackly vocal track, it sounds like it's clipping a lot. But cool song nonetheless.

If this is the bedroom version do you have a studio version as well? For Speedboozer or another project?

NoiseFilthFury responds:

Yes, I have a studio version. It's going to be on the upcoming Speedboozer record. Thanks.

Banshee (DEMO) Banshee (DEMO)

Nice, you have some interesting parts here. I think your area of improvement lies in the production realm of things. I mean like, tone, mix, drum sound etc. I think the composition and performance is awesome. This song has the most feeling of anything I've found in the portal today. I've listened to about 15 songs so far. I think more echoyness on your guitars would be good. And of course vocals would really round this song out.

That middle section is nice. I guess it's a bit repetitive but it's ok. What I think would sound great is if you let the clean guitar ring a bit longer at the 4:23 mark while the song picks up. It sounds like it ends abruptly. I guess you click on your distortion at that point and that's why it's abrupt? But the distortion riff that comes in at that point is great and the rest at 4:31 is a great element too. That's what I mean by awesome composition, I like that stuff.

Anyway keep it up man! I like your riffage.

akoRn responds:

Thanks bud, I agree and accept all of your comments, especially on the tones, I might need to get better gear to get better tones and stuff in near future, I love come up with all kinds of riffages, and hopefully when me and my friend manage to finda proper vocals, it wont sounds too repetitive by then. Thank you so much for your time! Appreciate it! :D

Mnargl - Metal Loop 30 Mnargl - Metal Loop 30

Excellent, a black metal loop. I wasn't expecting that. For some reason when I think of heavy metal loops thrash is all that comes to mind.

Is this riff inspired by anything specific? I keep wanting to hear a big long black metal shriek come in just before the song changes gear into a new riff. I swear I can hear what needs to come next; I suspect it's inspired by something and I have heard that something before.

Anyway I think this is a cool loop. Hopefully some game maker finds it and uses it.

GammaRay Damn The Machine Cove GammaRay Damn The Machine Cove

No World Order is probably my favourite Gamma Ray album, I think it's great.

In this cover I think the vocal performance is the best element. It sounds like you're going for something of a punk approach. Kai Hansen has a bit of that himself. I believe it was Michael Weikath who said Kai always had a bit of a punk attitude about things. So if you were going for a punk feel I think it is appropriate. However it sounds quite dry, possibly some effects could make it really shine. I don't work with vocals much myself so I don't have a very informed opinion but I expect some reverb would help. Delay too, I always like delay and reverb for things, I like it all echoy.

I believe I heard some clipping here and there, notably around 2:06 to 2:25 area.

What is with the ending? Do you have the whole song or did you just do this much on purpose?

I'm going to give you 3 stars. I'm not a big fan of the drum sound. The mix and production realm of things could use some improvement. But the vocal performance is quite impressive; I think with some effects you'd really be rocking.

TGSUnderground responds:

Well I wanted it to be more of a unique approach rather than an exact copy so I added a bit to the end. It's actually from another song I've been working on. Thanks so much for the review, it makes me feel good knowing people enjoy my work.

Angel Dust (Venom) Angel Dust (Venom)

Yeah Venom! I love their old stuff too. I used to have Welcome to Hell cover art as my avatar here.

What do you think of Venom's new stuff? I mean like everything after "Resurrection"? I find it enjoyable, though not as much as the classic Welcome to Hell and Black Metal. I used to think that Venom just doesn't know when to quit but lately I have a bit of appreciation for their newest era.

But good cover man, I like your bass tone; I think that section of the music is coming across real good. What is with the fade out ending?